Em Malik's Kitchen in the house!!
Thanks for having me on the SWB blog today, I didn't know what to write, so I'll start with some fun facts to begin with........
what you might already know about me:
- My name is Em Malik. (Arabic nickname.....means mother of Malik, my son)
- I cook Arabic foods, mostly Palestinian.
- I post my recipes on my blog, Twitter and facebook page.
- I have 2 kids ( Sara 3, and Malik 2)
- I live in MO, USA.
- My writing skills need lots of work.
- I go by many names (long story): Samantha, Sama, Samar, Em Malik, bint el hajsalem, but close friends call me Samar..
- Born in NJ, raised in Gaza, Palestine.
- Palestinian father, Vietnamese war fugitive mother.
- Studied Optometry for 2 years in Gaza, married, came back to US and didn't find it in my area. Thought that was weird.. took one semester of Medical technology, then got pregnant and been home ever since.
- I love the color BROWN. Everything in the world should be shades of brown...trying to get over it, but i guess its a mental disorder, just like hubby says. I cant help but noticing everything pretty in brown. (i think its just a coincidence).
- chocolate or vanilla? (vanilla, but i don't mind a bit of chocolate here or there...)
- i cooked my first edible meal when i was in fourth grade. ( spaghetti and meatballs)
- I love to cook, bake, and decorate foods and cakes more than i like eating them
- I have many hobbies that interest me, but i rarely complete a project . The "hobby craze phase" as i call it goes like this:
get busy with life ----> months past ----> new hobbies emerge ----> more money spent----> sell on eBay to pay for expensive hobbies---> old hobby items sit and gather dust, hoping to be used again one day.
- some hobbies I've done in the past: cake/cupcake decorating - sewing maternity/baby items - fabric key chains - breastfeeding covers - baby blankets and car seat covers - paci-clips - scrapbooking - eBay - refinishing old cheap furniture - refinishing our half guest bathroom cabinets and changing sink faucet.- interior design projects here and there around the house.- Allah knows what I'll end up with next....
|diaper cake for baby shower i hosted|
|Cupcake holder for baby shower i hosted|
|$5 chair i got at thrift store, i made it pretty.|
|fabric key chain|
|fabric baby ball|
|diaper case with matching key chain for diaper bag|
|princess pacifier clips|
- I love taking pics and videos of EVERYTHING... i need a new camera instead of my iPhone cam, which leads me to think that photography will be my next expensive hobby... OH lord...
- I had a dream of opening a home cupcake business.. it didn't work, because i woke up (FAIL)
- I HATE HATE HATE laundry, yet i have no problem buying huge amounts of cheap clearance new clothes. Go figure.
- I can cook from morning to night nonstop (OK, just potty breaks...) but 5 minutes of dishes/sweeping kills me.. My dear SIL/BFF is the opposite. We make a great team :)
- I'M A COUPONER. i love shopping around for
0\\]piuiij8uuuu1edit: i just noticed that i had a little helper edit my post (thanks alot sara!). I love shopping around for great dirt cheap deals to stock up my pantry and household needs.. And also my closet hehe.
- my favorite store is Kohls, because of their awesome coupons..
- I LOVE domino's pizza (black olives & extra cheese), and Musakhann. I can live on them for the rest of my life if i had to.
- I am lazy., but it doesn't take much to motivate me.
- I unlocked iPhone for my cellphone-store-owner-husband. Then I taught him how to do it. The ones that couldn't be unlocked got sold on eBay and paid for my hobbies.
- I love all cartoon 3d movies. That part of me will never grow up.
- My kids (Sara 3, and Malik 2) are tech savvy geeks. I can see them as the nerds of the future. They both can work the iPhone, tv remote, DVD player, Wii, Computer and more. Its scary I tell ya! I'm afraid they'll demand an ipad when they go to school.
- I believe you-tube is better than cable or dish-network. And its free too!
- I hope to visit Gaza this year (If they'll let me through the border), Im dying to see my grandmother.. She mostly taught me how to cook.
- Malik will be an aspired chef. He loves to help around the kitchen, and make "cookie soup" with my pots and pans. He's also Obsessed with eggs. RAW EGGS... ukh
Cubed chicken kabobs:
1 head of garlic, peeled
1 cup chopped parsley
1 jalepeno, seeded if u like.
some lemon juice or citric acid
salt & black pepper to taste
2lbs chicken breast, cleaned and cubed.
Mortar and pestle , or food proccesor
- Crush the parsley, garlic, pepper, salt together until its in paste form.
- cover the chicken cubes with it, then add black pepper and lemon juice (one lemon, or 1/2 tsp citric acid) and let it sit for a while, to marinate.
- Skewer them once ready. Space them out a bit so they evenly cook.
- to cook: place on a hot grill, let is cook on each side for 5 mins and keep flipping them to prevent burning.
Silky Ground Chicken Kabobs:
I got this recipe from a book i have called: "Perfect Indian" that nour gave me.
Ingredients: I doubled this recipe here but this is the original from the book.
1/3 cup raw cashews
2 tbsp light cream (used half & half)
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast, coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
2 tsp garlic paste
2 tsp ginger paste
2 fresh green hot peppers, coarsely chopped
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp garam masala
vegetable oil for brushing
2 tsbp butter, melted
chutney to serve.. (i didnt have any)
- put the cashews in a heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water, let soak for 20 mins.Drain and put in a food processor. Add the cream and egg and process into a coarse mixture.
- add all the remaining ingredients, except the oil and melted butter, and process until smooth. Transfer into a bowl, cover, let chill for 30 mins in the fridge. (mine turned out a little greener than the picture in the book, its supposed to be golden yellow)
- Preheat the broiler to high. Brush the rack and 8 metal presoaked wooden skewers lightly with oil. have a bowl of cold water ready
- divide the chilled mixture into 8 equal size portions. Dip your hands into the bowl of old water-this will stop it from sticking- and carefully mold the chicken onto the skewers. ( I didnt put them on skewers)
- Arange the kabobs on the prepared rack and cook for 4 mins. Brush with half the melted butter and cook for one more minute. Turn over and cook for 3 more mins, baste with butter , turn and cook for 2 more mins. ( I skipped the butter)
- remove from heat and let rest for 5 mins before sliding them off the skewers. Enjoy!
Another thing I did were veggie skewers, I had red bell peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, and mushrooms, so i tossed some olive oil , salt, black pepper, paprika, and lemon pepper and let marinate for few minutes..
Then i put them on skewers and gave them a head start on the griddle (yes I use a griddle, see more about it here)
I really hope you enjoyed my mile long post! Dont forget to stop by my blog Em Malik's Kitchen and say hi!